Search This Blog

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls REVAMPED to make a freezer meal too!!

So, here is the link to the allrecipes.com recipe that I used in this week's menu Stuffed Cabbage Roll....
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Cabbage-Rolls/Detail.aspx

I made some minor changes (and didn't spend much more) so that I could make a freezer meal while preparing tonight's dinner.  Here is what I did...

Since I bought 1 ½ lbs of ground beef, I decided to up the recipe and make extra cabbage rolls for the freezer (I did this with Manicotti once and loved having an easy-to-make home-cooked meal at my fingertips).   I made 2 cups of rice and added the whole can of tomato soup to the bowl of stuffing ingredients; I added another full can to the pan when I was simmering the cabbage rolls.  Rather than using a few of the cabbage head leaves, I (being the frugal person I am) pealed down the cabbage head until I the center was pretty much a solid mass; I think I got about 22 leaves off of the one head.  I paired up the smaller leaves for the cabbage rolls that I was going to use for tonight’s dinner.  I put 2-3 tooth picks in to help hold them together.  Then, when I got to the larger leaves I made them singly.  I prepared a jelly roll pan with foil and a bit of oil and set approx. 8 of my “prettier” rolls on it.  I placed it in the freezer for about 2 hours.  After, I put the frozen rolls in a freezer bag with the directions for cooking and needed ingredients (tomato soup). 
Now, I not only made a dinner for tonight, but I have one in the freezer that’s ready to be cooked!  J  *Looking at how big the "big" leaves from the head of cabbage are, I'm thinking there is more like two meals here!!  Wow!!  Talk about a cheap and worthwhile meal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment