Search This Blog

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Review of Menu 4

REVIEW for the Menu for Week 4:
*There were some really YUMMY meals to think about making!
·         Pad Thai
o   http://allrecipes.com/recipe/a-pad-thai-worth-making/detail.aspx
o   REVIEW:  This was my first attempt at making this much loved dish.  We have had our fair share of Pad Thai from a range of restaurants.  I figured buying the specific ingredients for the dish would pay off since I would most likely try the dish again.  Overall, I think I will get better at the timing of cooking the dish.  As with many “stir fry” dishes, the hot wok makes for some quick cooking.  I didn’t have everything quite set up to just throw in as I went (and I had to keep referring to the recipe) which ate up time and ended in up my chicken and shrimp to be over cooked. 
o   Did we like it?  YES!  Will I make it again?  YES!  I think that I will get better at timing the dish and it will go more smoothly next time.

·         Crockpot Italian Chicken with Garlic Parmesan Pull-Apart Bread
o   http://www.crockadoodledo.blogspot.com/2012/04/italian-chicken.html
o   REVIEW:  The crockpot chicken recipe was delicious and different than most of the typical creamy dishes that I end up making in the crockpot.  I added celery and mushrooms to the recipe because I am a sucker for veggies.  I didn’t have Italian dressing on hand, so I made my own powder mix which I then mixed with oil and vinegar and added it to the crockpot.  The Italian dressing recipe made more powder than needed, so I have it saved in a little container in the spice cupboard for future use.  The bread was different enough, and very simple that I would probably make it again as well.
o   Did we like it?  Yes.  Will I make it again?  Yes.
o   CHANGES:  I made my own dressing to add to the crockpot chicken. ITALIAN DRESSING RECIPE: 
·         1 tbs garlic salt
·         1 tbs onion powder
·         1 tbs white sugar
·         2 tbs dried oregano
·         1 tbs black pepper
·         1 tbs dried basil
·         1 tbs dried parsley (which I didn’t add bc I didn’t have it)
·         ¼ tbs celery salt
·         2 tbs salt
Use 1-2 tbs of the mixture and add to ¼ c white vinegar, 2/3 c oil (veg or canola), and 2 tbs water.  *Store the rest of the seasonings in a dry, sealed container.

·         Chicken Fajitas
o   REVIEW:  A staple in our house since it is so easy and we often have the ingredients on hand.

·         CHEAP AND EASY:  Tuna Melts and Kraft Mac and Cheese
o   REVIEW:  Really!?!?!  Yes, we always enjoy our cheap and easy meal!  J

·         Macaroni and Beef and Cheese 
o   REVIEW:  I actually made this dish after work (which was a concern because I was pushing time to get it done for dinner).  I got the meat browned and tossed it all together pretty quickly and then was able to sit down and play with my daughter for a bit before dinner time while it cooked in the oven.  Overall, we enjoyed this for two nights in a row.  I changed the spices; I just couldn’t decide what flavor I wanted, so I made it up!  It was great.  My husband said that the meat tasted like meat pie. 
o   Did we like it? YES!  Will I make it again?  YES!
o   CHANGES:
·         SPICES:  I added 1 tbs salt, 2 tbs chili powder, 2 tbs dried basil, 1 tbs cumin, and 1 tbs curry powder was added to the browning meat.
  
·         Dessert: Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Crust Pie
o   REVIEW:  OH MY GOSH!!  This pie is killer!!  I made it and took it to a friend’s house for dinner.  Everyone loved it!  It is so worth making and really wasn’t difficult.  SO WORTH IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment