Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Review of Week 2's Menu

Review of Menu for Week 2:
 
Week 2 was a bit more of a push since summertime got the best of me and we had more un-planned meals thrown in (going out to dinner with friends and we had a housewarming party which made LOTS of leftovers).  So, with that being said, I did not complete two of the meals this week--Artichoke Spinach Lasagna and the Grilled Chicken with a Vegetable Tian didn't make the cut or fit the timeline.  Since the majority of the Artichoke Spinach Lasagna are dry or frozen goods, this will be a good meal to use another time since I will have most all of the supplies on hand.
 
So, here are my reviews for the week 2 menu.  The dishes were good and I think there are some keepers here.  Please add comments if you've tried any of the meals listing what you thought of it and/or any changes/suggestions you have for them.  THANKS!!
 
·         Broiled Tilapia Parmesan with Scalloped Hasselback Potatoes:  The tilapia was SUPER easy and could be done very quickly.  The parmesan sauce that you put on top of them and then broil them with was really tasty.  The Scalloped Hasselback Potatoes (as I mentioned before) were delicious--tedious, but company-worthy. 
  Did I like it?  yes.  Will I make it again?  yes.  Changes?  I had to broil the tilapia a little bit longer once I put the parmesan dressing on the fillets to get them to brown and bubble like I wanted.  It didn't cause any problems though. 
 
·         Artichoke Spinach Lasagna:  Did not make.
 
·         Grilled Chicken with Summer Vegetable Tian:  Did not make.
 
·         Taco Pie with Grilled Corn Salad:  I thought this was very interesting since you make the "crust" with mash potatoes.  Overall, I wasn't too impressed, but my husband thought it was one of the best dishes so far. 
 Did I like it?  It was okay....my husband loved it!  Will I make it again?  Yes, since it was enjoyed so much.  Changes?  Not really.  I made a homemade pico salsa to go with it since peppers and tomatoes are prevalent this time of year.
 
·         Crockpot Coca Cola BBQ Chicken with corn bread:  We made this on a night that I knew my in-laws were coming over for dinner.  It was easy and my father-in-law doesn't care for crazy meals or strange foods....he'd prefer to keep things simple.  I added a can of baked beans to complete the meal.  The chicken breasts I used were on the small side and I should have thrown more in there.  It was good enough that people went back for seconds and we didn't have enough...I think we would have eaten more if it was there.  We didn't care for the lemon in it since some pieces or parts of a piece had a very strong lemon flavor. 
Did I like it?  yes.  Will I make it again?  YES!  It was so easy and tasty.  Changes?  No lemon. 
 
·         No-Bake Boston Cream Pie:  I'll be honest....when I looked over this recipe before I added it, I didn't fully comprehend what was going into making this dish.  I didn't realize that I would be making my first custard!  Oh well.  I came, I saw, I tempered, and I conquered!  I thought this was one of the best desserts ever...but then again I'm a dessert girl.  It would be great for a party or gathering.  I would say that it would be best to make the night before serving.  My husband (and his tummy) said that it was a little too rich for him.  Oh well...more for me!
Did I like it?  YES.  Will I make it again?  yes.  Changes?  None.  Yum! 
 
 
*Sorry again about dropping two of the dished on the week's menu.  Please share if you made any of the dishes and what you thought about them.  Enjoy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment